9.29.2010

A New Stage of Life

James has entered a new stage of life- the communication phase- I like to call it. It has its ups and downs, and I am still learning how to best parent it. James now understands practically everything that we say or ask, but he hasn't learned how to communicate with words yet. With some things he doesn't need words because we understand him-

For example:

- If he wants to be held he will come up to me and just look at me or rest his head on me. I then ask him if he would like to be held. He nods yes. I tell him, "Say yes" and he just nods more vigorously.

- If he wants to go outside he brings me his shoes. If I don't respond or say "not now" he will bring me my shoes. He does say "Shhh" if I tell him to "Say shoes", but doesn't say it without a prompt.

- If he wants a  drink he will sign "milk"- sometimes he means water, other times milk, and other times he gets his 'milk' sign confused with another sign and I dont know what he wants.

- If he wants to play with me he will bring me a toy (or book)

These examples definitely make it a lot easier to understand and communicate with James. It is nice knowing that if he is hungry he will tell me (even though he may be picky about what he eats), or if I get too wrapped up in cooking he will let me know...

BUT what has been hard is the fact that he can't talk. He understands everything and wants to communicate how he feels, but most of the time he can't say what he wants or feels... which leads to a frustrated little boy. When he is frustrated he usually whines, sometimes bawls, sometimes bites. Most of the time if we dont understand him or don't give him what he wants, he goes to the couch, puts his head in the cushion and sobs.

Some say ignore the behavior.
Some say timeout is the way to go.
Some say hold him until he calms down.
And sometimes you just want to give in so he stops crying.

Oh the joys of parenting.

I have so much more appreciation for parents... I wish parenting came with an exact instruction guide for each child.

They say that girls are easier because they learn to talk faster.... hopefully I have a least one girl! (Even though I think I prefer boys)

Wish me luck :)

1 comment:

Lauren and Brian Davis said...

girl you will figure it out! you are a great mom and you'll know what's best for you little guy. good luck!