5.12.2010

Intro to my Internship

I have officially been an intern for six days now and everyday I am liking it more and more. For those that don't know, I am completing a Therapeutic Recreation internship in order to graduate and I am doing it at a psychiatric hospital here in Alaska. Every day I love it more and more. The first three days were training in a classroom (BORING!) but I was able to learn how to defend myself if I need to. Yesterday was a good learning experience. I first interacted with the patients in a class that is called Life Skills. At first I was intimidated because I wasn’t sure what to expect. This is my first time working with this population and I didn’t know if they would be angry, talk in nonsense, or not show any emotion at all. The entire day I was quite reserved and didn’t go out of my way to make any conversations. The day went well, but I went home feeling like I didn’t try my hardest. So today I resolved to do better!




I went to a music appreciation class where this awesome acoustic guitar player played TONS of songs that we chose and we would sing them together. We sang songs like The Boxer, Imagine, Drift Away, Take It Easy, Hard Days Night and other classic but goody songs. We then had a fitness class where I was able to connect with some patients through basketball- it was so enjoyable opening up and getting to know the patients and letting them see the fun side of recreation.



This definitely isn’t my dream job even though it is my dream occupation… (if that makes any sense) but I am enjoying making the best of what I have been given!

No comments: