7.19.2011

What we’ve been doing….

As most know, we will be moving to Portland at the beginning of August for dental school. With no furniture, we have been busy finding furniture and getting ready to move/prepare for a baby girl. We have found some great deals on furniture and with a little TLC from us (mostly Matt), we love what we have! Here is a little of what we have been working on:

A side table:

I really wanted a side table to have in our living room. I came across this little gem (see below):

IMG_4341

But the color theme of our future living room will be gray (the walls), white (the furniture) and yellow (pops of color throughout). This definitely didn’t go with our color scheme…. so after priming, several coats of painting, and a few coats of polycrylic, here is our new side table:

IMG_4391

 

Our Kitchen Table:

When we picked up James’ big boy bed, the same person offered to give us their dinner table along with chairs for $20 total. We thought it was a steal, and since we didn’t have either, we accepted. The table was black, and even though we liked the thought of a black table, this table was in ROUGH condition- lots of chipped paint, dinged up wood and not too sturdy. I forgot to get a before shot, but this is the first picture that I have of it:

IMG_4344

It took Matt a while to sand down all of the coats of paint that had been applied, but after he sanded, primed, painted, sealed, and fixed any rickety parts, it is now wonderful!! Here is the after:

IMG_4392

Did I mention that this table converts into a larger table? Well it does :)

IMG_4393 IMG_4394

While Matt’s been outside working on our furniture (I have helped with coats of paint here and there, but Matt really enjoys working on the furniture), I have been inside with the sewing machine and James. Between caring for James, I have been able to finish these little projects:

Decorative Pillows:

I made some slipcovers for 4 pillows that will match our future color scheme (remember gray, white and yellow). Well here they are:

IMG_4389

Car seat cover:

One thing that I really wanted when James was a baby was a car seat cover, so I figured I would just make one. Car seat covers keep the baby protected from the elements- wind, rain, etc., the sun from directly hitting them while in the car, and to keep out the light and some noise while the baby is sleeping(why I wanted one). Most car seat covers that I have seen don’t have a peek-a-boo pouch that the mom can look in without opening the entire thing, and this is something I most definitely wanted. So, here is the final product:

IMG_4387

IMG_4388

IMG_4386

IMG_4384

IMG_4385

We still have lots to do: refinish the dining room chairs, make an entertainment center (HUGE project), make a nursing cover, and refinish our two dressers. We still have lots to do, but are confident and excited that we can get them done!

1 comment:

Brice and Fallon said...

Steph!! I am SUPER impressed.
That is amazing. Seriously. I dont know how you find time with James running around. I tried to do projects with just Claire and it was pointless. Good for you. I love the furniture and the color scheme you have chosen. The only thing I dont like is that you are moving to Portland and we are moving to Page and they are nowhere near each other and I am going to miss you a ton. And Claire will miss James a ton :( Cant talk about it anymore.